My media consumption habits


My day starts with social media - going through Twitter and Instagram. That’s how I wake myself up, and I’m pretty sure that I’m not the only one. And throughout the day, I’m either on social media or consuming media whenever I get the chance - were it watching videos, listening to music or podcasts, watching people livestream or just reading webcomics. Especially when I’m working on my illustrations or my comics I need to at least listen to music or podcasts, but usually it ends up me watching (if you can call it watching) shows on Netflix or Youtube videos as I draw. I guess even while working I need some kind of distraction. Sometimes I need to listen to podcasts or radio shows while I play video games - that way I can chill with a good game but also keep up with the newest episodes.


And when I go to bed, I go through my social media feeds one last time(s), so that I don’t have too much scrolling to do in the morning. Sometimes I put a sleeping meditation video on to help me fall asleep faster. So yeah, that’s a lot of media during the day.



Do I have a bad attention span or do I just need my brain to be stimulated by audio or audiovisual content 24/7, I don’t know. Is that because of just the way I am or is it something I could unlearn? Is this what you could call an addiction?

Either way, it has become a habit with its pros and cons. On the other hand I need something else to think about after school, after being socially drained or when I’m feeling down. All that media I digest make me feel good and make me have time for myself, which I need a lot. It all can also give a new chance to hype over a new thing and in the best scenario I can share that hype with others and enjoy together with friends. But on the other hand it has become an escape - and an escape isn't always a good thing, especially when it comes to your emotions and feelings. Studies show that social media in large amounts isn't doing much good to mental health, but that goes with everything else, too.

And maybe to everyone it has become even some kind of a habit - it’s hard to be away from all kinds of media these days. You gotta be some kind of a ninja to dodge media, which is only an umbrella to all the different kinds of media.


This is me in bed after consuming all that content online.


Comments